Monday, March 2, 2009

What the parents like about the Jewish Academy

I've been asked "What do you like about the Jewish Academy?"

There are so many things that I like, that I'm just going to choose my favorite, and then encourage other parents to comment and add their own favorites.

My favorite thing about the Jewish Academy is the atmosphere of happiness. The kids are loved and nurtured. The faculty is warm and approachable. The kids love each other. Everyone is very nice to one another. The teachers and volunteers really care about the total well-being of each child.

I'll give one example that I saw while setting up for art class. A kindergartner had fallen asleep during rest time on a Friday afternoon. The K class rests for 20 minutes every afternoon. The rest of the class got up to go to Hebrew but Morah Erin decided to let this one child sleep. The child was obviously very tired and needed the nap. Rabbi Aaron came into the room and saw that there was a child still asleep on a mat instead of in Hebrew. He stood there looking at the kid for a minute, smiling, and then said something like "Kindergartners are so small. They are still our babies." (paraphrased) Maybe this doesn't speak to all parents, but it speaks to me.

It shows that while the school teaches the kids all of the things they are supposed to learn for their perspective grade, plus Hebrew, Judaics, P.E. and Music, they feel that for a kid to really achieve they must be nurtured, loved and healthy.

2 comments:

JAWC Mom said...

A parent emailed this blurb to me to add as a comment, JAWC Mom.

While the kids at JAWC are learning all the required subjects, plus Hebrew, Judaica, Art, Music and PE, what I love most is that they are sheltered and loved and respected. They are kind, loving and respectful of each other as well. My daughter was sick a couple of weeks ago and missed three days of school. The K class called during Judaica and each child wished her well, one at a time. It brought tears to my eyes...this is one of the things that makes our school special. TS

JR said...

I like the fact that my son loves going to JAWC, looks forward to going to school, doing his homework and playing with friends. He is doing so well there. What's not to love?