Thursday, March 5, 2009

Morah Erin

I thought I'd write a few words about our K-1 general studies teacher, Morah Erin.

First, Morah Erin has boundless energy. She is a self-starter and is not afraid to dive headfirst into a project involving lots of steps, mess, and effort. Our upcoming Purim carnival is an example. She came up with the idea to host a Purim event for rising Kindergartners and immediately started enlisting help to carry it through. It is an event that is mostly going to be run by the kids. They are working hard making games for the preschoolers to play. I do hope a nice group of the little ones come because I think they'll have a good time playing with the big kids.

Erin is not Jewish, but she has worked as an educator in local Jewish schools for many years. This year she has decided that she will learn to read Hebrew with her K class. When I asked her "Why do you teach at this school?", she said, "Well, for instance, the kids are helping me learn to read Hebrew. I couldn't get that anywhere else." In the parking lot, I heard her thanking a child for helping her read Hebrew today. She made him feel very special. I could see by the smile.

She also said that she likes the fact that she can spend time every day, teaching every child individually. When I asked her this afternoon what she would want me to write about her, she said that this is very important to her. It's her favorite thing about teaching a small class. R. doesn't talk about general studies at school. When I ask her what she did in school that day she usually talks about P.E., recess, and lunch. Yet I see what an improvement there has been in R.'s reading, writing, and math skills. I have noticed that she suddenly has all sorts of information that I didn't teach her.

Erin is not stern. Her classroom is full of laughter and chatter, but there is also discipline. She speaks to the kids and to us very honestly and without mincing words. I remember at the beginning of the year R. was very unhappy that there was a 20 minute rest time every afternoon. I went in with R. to ask Erin what could be done about my child's terribly unhappiness during rest time. Erin, without pause, looked directly at R. and said "Kindergartners have a short rest time every afternoon. That is a time for you to rest quietly on your mat. We don't play or read during that time." R. accepted this as the way things were going to be and hasn't mentioned it again.

While she maintains discipline Erin distributes pounds of goodwill, and encouragement to the kids. She can be sort of cheerleader-like. She's very perky. She is also a very serious teacher and is doing a wonderful job teaching my child. R. has woken up every morning happy to go to school.

No comments: