Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Jewish Academy of Wake County

The reason I decided to write this blog is to give one parent's perspective on our little school. I must state from the onset of this blog that I am not an impartial observer. My heart is in The Jewish Academy of Wake County. I want this school to grow, and getting out the good word is as important as providing excellent education.

I will refer to my child as "R".

The first three weeks of school have proceeded marvelously. R. is learning so much in kindergarten. I am amazed by how much R's handwriting has improved. In three weeks R. has gone from writing in all wobbly capitals to writing a majority of upper and lowercase letters correctly on lined paper. R. loves writing. They have a journal that they write (or draw) in every day and then they have begun to share those journals with the class once a week.

Last Friday I volunteered in the office. I listened through the door as the K-1 class shared their journals with the 2nd and 3rd graders and the 2nd and 3rd graders read stories they had written to the K-1 class. Then, at Shabbat circle on Friday afternoon, they all sat together again, telling more stories about their weeks, singing songs, and listening to a visiting Rabbi talk about the parshat hashavuah. The Shabbat circle is open and parents often attend. One parent brings her guitar to accompany the singing. What a great way to end a week!

So far, every day I have picked R up from school and asked "How was school?" R's answer has been "Good" or "Great". What more can a parent ask for?

No comments: